Health Tips

Search by health tip group
Search by keyword

Health Tips / Blood Alcohol

Diagnosis and Symptons

Alcohol is absorbed into the blood stream from the both the stomach wall and the small intestine. 90% of our alcohol intake is removed from the body by metabolism in the liver by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). Every hour, the average persons liver can metabolise one unit of alcohol (about 12ml or 10g of pure alcohol). The remaining 10% of alcohol consumed leaves the body in our urine, sweat or breath. 

Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) is the measure of the amount of alcohol in a person's bloodstream and is thus a useful indication of how drunk they are. Two people who drink the same amount may have different BACs. This is because the BAC not only depends on the number of drinks and the concentration of alcohol in those drinks but also on:

Related health tips:
Last update: 16/05/2013 12:38 • Previous update: 30/11/-0001 00:00